Making a Difference

Girls Soccer Teams Give Back

Left to Right: Ellie Beltz, Kelsey Kiesz, Cierra Poarch, Allison Kolsrud, Alyssa Kloster

Josh Brown and Kianna Brandt

IMG_9559Gilbert AZ- Banner Cardon Children’s Hospital is thanking the heavens as they receive tremendous help from WFHS’s Girl’s Varsity and JV Soccer teams.

Since the 2013-14 school year, the girl’s soccer teams have been donating Build-A-Bear stuffed animals to children who are in the hospital.

“We decided to give back to the community,” reported Allison Kolsrud (12). Since her freshman year, Kolsrud has been donating bears to the hospital, “It started out with me just donating whatever money I had, then the whole program joined in.”

All the girls rejoice as they get the chance to improve the lives of less fortunate children.

“It’s an unimaginable feeling wheIMG_9550n you see the smile on these kid’s faces as you hand them just a simple toy,” commented Cierra Poarch (12).

These past four years the Lady Black Hawks have learned how to not only do great things on the field but off the field as well. To help spread awareness about their good deeds, FOX 10 News conducted a live interview with members of the Varsity team this morning.

“We are trying to help as many kids as possible,” said Kolsrud. The team’s goal is to raise $3,500-$4,000 before the season begins in November. When they started this idea three years ago, they hoped to donate 400 Build-A-Bears by the end of the next four years.IMG_9577

Coach Arne Kolsrud said, “Our goal is to make 170 bears this year.” The teams have donated 230 bears since the start of the program, however they need to raise more money this year than they have in past years to achieve this goal.

The Girl’s Soccer teams have established a GoFundMe account for all who are capable to donate to this worthy cause. To donate, please visit https://www.gofundme.com/zgq52guk before November 19th, when the bears will begin being built.

“The kids love the bears, it’s their favorite type of toy to receive.” said Poarch.