Robo Hawks are Flying into State

Brielle Christianson, Photo Editor

Gilbert, AZ- The Williams Field Robotics club recently went to their second competition of the season. At the competition, the Robo Hawks qualified for state, won another award, and two members achieved Dean’s List.

In order for the team to reach state, their robot must perform tasks based on the game theme for that season. The team ranked 15 out of 25 teams, which placed them for a state competition.

“I feel like I’m looking most forward to being able to see what being at state is like; as well as learning from other stronger teams,” said Angel (Emogene) Mazur (10).

The team also achieved the Control Award for the second time this season. This award highlights teams who use sensors to improve their performance during the Autonomous Mode, when the robot movement completely relies on programing, and the two drivers cannot use their controllers to control the robot.

“I am really proud of the team effort that we all put forward. The programmers intend to further research and manipulate the autonomous code and strategy. The builders will be assembling a collection and transportation system for the particles, to move them towards the rear of the robot where the particle accelerator will shoot them into the center vortex and score points,” said Sean O’Hair (11).

The team also had the opportunity for 2 of their members- Fernanda Benitez and Alejandro Lopez- to achieve the Dean’s list. These leaders set an example for the robotics community and fit the standard of a dedicated hard worker. Teams choose 1-2 individuals from their team to nominate for semi-finals, and finalists are announced at the State Finals Competition.

The First Tech Challenge State Competition will be held at Northern Arizona University on February 25. Come out and support your fellow Black Hawks, as they fly into state for the first time ever.

“We will try to meet almost everyday after school and practice [driving and programming skills] more to prepare for state,” said Alejandro Lopez (11).