Sights to see in AZ

Horseshoe Bend from above

Page, AZ- Page, Arizona is located in Northern Arizona very close to the Arizona/Utah border. When most people think of heading to Northern Arizona, they think of going to Flagstaff, Payson, or even Prescott. Page is an amazing town that doesn’t get enough appreciation for the wonderful sights there are to see there. While in Page you can go see Monument Valley, Glen Canyon, The Glen Canyon Dam, Lake Powell, The Colorado River, and even Marble Canyon, but what I think are the most amazing sights to see while there are Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon.

Horseshoe Bend is located five miles downstream from the Glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell within the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. Horseshoe Bend is called Horseshoe Bend because when looked at from above, it resembles the shape of a horseshoe. I not only got to see Horseshoe Bend from above, but I was also able to see it from the inside on the Colorado River.

A Navajo woman from the Hopi Tribe by the name of Erin took my family, myself, and others on a boat through Glen Canyon. While on the boat Erin educated us on the history of the canyon, the dam, the river, the people that used to be inhabitants of the canyon, and the living things that live in the canyon today.

Glen Canyon is composed of a soft rock known as Sandstone. Sandstone is made of very tightly compacted sand, which leads geologists to believe that Glen Canyon used to be entirely made of oceans. It is believed that Glen Canyon was home to not just one ocean, but 7 oceans since the beginning of time. Due to these various oceans coming and going over billions of years, the sand has built up so much that the walls of Glen Canyon are now composed of up to 1400+ feet of  Sandstone. Sandstone allows water to pass through it very easily. Due to this constant flow of water throughout the canyon’s walls, the Sandstone that makes up the walls of the canyon breaks off very often. Horseshoe Bend from above is open to the public for free, and people may come and go as they please. However, along with the free reign to come and see Horseshoe Bend as you desire, there is also no railing or “keep off” signs to keep people from falling off the edge. You don’t notice at first just how far of a drop down it is, or how little support there is to keep you from falling off the edge until you see it from the inside. Many of the people who visit Horseshoe Bend don’t know just how weak the rock they are standing on is, and how easily it could break off with a simple misplacement of footing.

Despite the possibility of falling off the edge, Horseshoe Bend is a breathtaking sight and I strongly recommend seeing it from both the inside and above.

Another breathtaking sight located within Page, Arizona is known as Antelope Canyon.

Antelope Canyon is divided into two parts: The Upper Canyon, and The Lower Canyon. When I went and saw Antelope Canyon I visited the Upper Canyon. The Upper Canyon is the more popular canyon to visit because it is easier to walk through. The Lower Canyon is a lot of climbing up and down ladders to get to one end of the canyon to the other, whereas the Upper Canyon is one flat walk through the entire thing.

Antelope Canyon is not like Horseshoe Bend where you can come and go as you please. It is open to the public, but you have to schedule a tour to be able to see it.

The best times to go see Antelope Canyon are from 10:30a.m.-11:30a.m.. At these times the light from the sun shines through the canyon at just the perfect amount. Antelope Canyon is one of the most photographed canyons in the world, and for good reason. At these times the lighting is the best for pictures. I highly suggest bringing a camera with you because it is such a beautiful sight and you won’t want to miss out on the photo opportunity.

Page, Arizona is an amazing little town jam packed with beautiful monuments and breathtaking sights to visit. To schedule tours to visit Antelope Canyon and the inside of Horseshoe Bend, visit these sites:

Horseshoe Bend:

http://horseshoebend.com/see-the-canyon-from-the-river-colorado-river-discovery/

Antelope Canyon:

http://www.antelopeslotcanyon.com

Flagstaff, AZ- Arizona may be known for the surrounding deserts and mountain views around the valley, but the forests up in the northern portion hold some special places you can’t find just anywhere.

Bearizona is found in Flagstaff, Arizona off Historic Route 66. The park has been open for only a short time- approximately 5 years- and is still in the process of construction. Since the opening, there has been multiple expansions and additions to the park.

The 3 mile stretch through different animal pens in the Ponderosa Pine Forest allows a car full of passengers to get a closer-than-life experience with North America’s wild animals. But after the drive around, there is a 20 acre walk-thru; giving a more zoo-like experience with winding paths and even more animals you don’t see at your average zoo. Just be sure to keep food out of the beds of trucks, your vehicle windows up, and doors locked at all times. Bears and wolves tend to walk in front of the path of vehicles; as do all of the other animals in the drive-thru portion.

In the zoo portion of the park, there are shows and activities for all ages- Birds of Prey, Keeper Chats, Wild Ride Bus Tour, a Petting Zoo including chickens and goats, and more. Visitors are welcome to travel at their own pace through the zoo, so the experience can range from 2 hours to an all day thrill.

You don’t get en experience like this everyday in Arizona. Go get away from the hot, dry desert, and visit the lush, green forests of Flagstaff. Visit the Bearizona website for more information on times, thrills, special events, and pricing.

Bearizona main website: http://www.bearizona.com

The Bear Jaw/Abineau hike is another great thing to do in Flagstaff. The seven mile loop is considered by many to be the best hike in Arizona. The trail is beautifully lined with aspen trees, and on a good day, the weather is sunny with a nice breeze. A high-clearance vehicle is recommended to make the drive out there, but if driven carefully any other car would be fine. The trail gets pretty hard to follow about two miles into the hike due to a huge avalanche that caused a lot of damage in 2005. At the peak of the trail, the Grand Canyon can be seen even though it’s seventy miles away.

Walnut Canyon is yet another great place to hike through. At this national monument, you can learn about the Sinagua people who lived on the walls of the canyon about 800 years ago. The people lived literally in the wall of the canyon and used the resources around them to make the wall a livable place, and the buildings they did are still standing and visitable today. The hike into the canyon to see the houses of the Sinagua people is about 240 steps down to the loop and then back up the same steps as you came down, all adding up to about a mile. The trail is paved the whole time and there are resting benches scattered throughout the stairs if a break is needed.

Bisbee, AZ- An hour south of Tucson, AZ there is an old mining town called Bisbee. This town has a population of just over 5,000 people. The town is separated into two main parts: “Old Bisbee” would be the downtown area and the “New Bisbee” would be down the road about a mile on the other side of the huge mining pit.

Old bisbee is filled with various hills and steep climbs and old buildings with fancy columns. Many breweries populate the small town and for being so small the town has a wild night life. The town also has several large beer festivals a year.

What would be considered the new Bisbee is still full of old gas stations and buildings but has the more common stores of today such as a Safeway and a NAPA, whereas the Old Bisbee has more mom and pop shops.