Come Join the WFHS Robotics Club

Brielle Christianson, Digital Photographer

Gilbert, AZ- The Williams Field High School Robotics Club gets students involved in the fundamentals of technology through programming and building robots to complete a challenge.

The challenge is known as the FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) Challenge- each year Arizona Schools, as well as in New Mexico, are giving a random challenge. Approximately 87% of schools involving grades 7-12 are involved in the FIRST Tech Challenge each year, including Williams Field.

“FIRST is a program that impacts students in their career options by giving them an experience of working with Robots and learning life skills”, President of the Robotics Club Fernanda Benitez (10) said.

Life skills include: team-building, leadership, problem-solving, and time management. The Robotics Club participates in tournaments throughout the school year (September to February) after programming, building, and testing their robots.

“Teams compete around the state to have robots compete and follow game guidelines”, Benitez (10) said.

This year’s challenge is Velocity Vortex. Students must create a robot that can move small balls (particles) into “goals”, touch beacons to reprogram and continue the challenge, shoot particles, pick up “cap balls” at the end and are able to park themselves in areas, all scoring points to their team.

“Robotics is encouraged to everyone at school interested in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math”, Benitez (10) said.

For more information on the Robotics Club, the FIRST Tech Challenge, and more, visit Mrs. Dubel in room 312 any day after school or talk with Fernanda Benitez, the club president. The Robotics Club meets Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at 3:20 to 5pm.