May Art Corner: Megan Ruangchamneil

Nicole Tassainer, Staff Writer

Gilbert, AZ- Megan Ruangchamneil (10) has been doing musical theatre for most of her life and has worked with companies across the valley. She continues to shine through high school theatre, and currently holds the position of historian of Williams Field thespian troupe #7430.

When asked how her life of theatre started, she said, “When I was in second grade, my choir teacher was directing a musical and asked if I would audition. My mom really wanted me to, so I decided to try it, and my life was changed.” She went on to explain how much her life has really changed through theatre, and the opportunities it has brought her.

Megan sang in a group musical number, as well as a duet with long time theatre/school friend, Kayleah Wilson (11) at the Arizona Thespian Festival in November of 2016. The two performances were awarded with a superior rating, and Megan and Kayleah’s duet scored highest of all in the duet section of the competition. They were asked to perform it in front of 3000+ theatre students and teachers at the end of the festival.

Megan has helped tremendously with the musical and the play this year, from building set pieces, making costumes, choreographing for both shows, and helping backstage whenever possible. She has also helped in choreographing Seussical at Cooley Middle School as a freshman.

She’s not just an amazing person in the theatre community, but she also works extremely hard in school. She was just inducted into the National Honors Society and has learned how to balance her school life, social life, and theatre life, a skill most students struggle with.

One of the seniors in the Thespian troupe, Kim Kogat said, “Megan is just a sophomore, but she does just as much, and is just as dedicated as the seniors in the troupe.”

Megan has done so many impressive things in her two short years of high school, and is definitely going to do amazing things in her life in theatre, as well as education.