Poetry Slam!

Ivy Buxton, Staff Writer

Gilbert, AZ- At the local coffee shop, Bold Roost, on April 27, National English Honors Society (NEHS) celebrated Poem in Your Pocket Day by hosting a poetry slam. Once a year, students at WFHS from all grades come and share their original works and enjoy some great coffee

With the sunny and windy atmosphere, it was amazing to watch. Students who presented let their words take control of their voices, as their passion came forward.

When people let others hear what they feel, it is truly inspiring. “I love how everyone just let themselves go.” said Phoebe Sweet-Whipple (10). , “I can’t wait to do this again next year!” said Maddie McKenna (9).

I have participated for two years now, and it is a great experience. I enjoy how when I’m reading, I don’t have to think about what I wrote, but how I wrote it. Anything can sound scary or happy with the right emphasis.

I was a little nervous to speak in front of my English teachers, my hands were shaking, but once I started it wasn’t so bad. I wanted to sound scared and unsure, and although it was unintentional, the shaking did help.

My good friend Phoebe Sweet-Whipple (10), came with me, and she also has terrible stage fright. But, with some encouragement from me, she went up and let the words pour out with no fear. “I honestly don’t regret it” said Sweet-Whipple.

Of the several great poems read, one that stuck with me was Ashley Prickett’s (10). I don’t know what it was, the words, her voice, I’m not sure. She let her true feelings be exposed and I thought that was extremely courageous.

There were also those who participated just for the extra credit opportunity given. They were very comical. One boy wrote his on memes, while others on the phrase extra credit.

What actually surprised me though, was the amount of seemingly popular people who presented. One of the student athletes I knew spoke a very heartfelt cry-for-help type poem and really shocked me. I guess you can’t judge a book by its cover.

Williams Field has been doing this for years now, and it will never cease to entertain with all the young writers and artists. Everyone was a favorite and I can’t wait to see the next group of poets next year!