Why Did the Civil War Happen, Mr. President?

Kenzie Belley, Political Analyst

WASHINGTON – The famous philosopher, George Santayana once wrote, “Those who don’t learn history are doomed to repeat it” and it is something someone should inform Donald Trump about. In an interview released on Monday President Trump claimed that, “Had Andrew Jackson been a little later you wouldn’t have had the Civil War.” Andrew Jackson died 16 years before the civil war broke out.

Later in the interview President Trump went on to praise former President Jackson and claim “(Andrew Jackson) was a very tough person, but he had a big heart.” It seems that Trump has either forgotten or disregarded the fact President Jackson signed the Indian Removal Act of 1830 that led to one of the darkest times in American history, the Trail of Tears, or perhaps Trump approves of the actions taken by the 7th president of the United States. Either way he has more good to say about Jackson than he can muster for his predecessor Barack Obama.

After the Interview, aired Donald took to Twitter to defend his statements posting that Jackson “saw it coming” in relation to the Civil War. Donald Trump apparently has knowledge about the inner working of Andrew Jackson’s mind.  

If the President wants to prevent another civil war in this country he should learn a little about its history. Maybe that will prevent the President 100 years from now having to ask, “Why could that one not have been worked out?”