Suns & APS Team Up For the Rebound Project

Emma Curtis, Staff Writer

Gilbert, AZ – Old things were made new again this week at Page Park in Gilbert on the corner of Gilbert and Elliot, thanks to the Phoenix Suns, Arizona Public Service (APS) and the Town of Gilbert.
Suns players Alan Williams and Eric Bledsoe, along with Gilbert Mayor Jenn Daniels and a representative of APS, spoke to a sea of more than 100 orange-clad children at the most recent installation of The Rebound Project. A collaboration between the Suns and APS that renovates and refurbishes run-down community basketball courts throughout the state.
Williams, a home-grown rising star, told the kids to “take advantage of this place,” to “get out and have fun and enjoy each other’s company as you learn the ins and outs of basketball.”
He said he spent many hours with his brother at the park near his childhood home, but that it wasn’t nearly as nice as the new court at Page Park.
“Enjoy this place and be proud of it,” he said. “It’s yours.”
After the official remarks were done, it was time to cut the ribbon and shoot the first ceremonial baskets. Mayor Daniels, the Suns players, and other VIPs spread out the large orange ribbon, but it seemed they had forgotten to bring the scissors. They even asked the kids in the crowd if anyone had some in their backpacks.
After a moment of awkward confusion, the crowd heard a horn honking, and a Suns van pulled up next to the court. Out hopped Go the Gorilla with a pair of large scissors for the win. The ribbon was cut and the show went on.
After the ceremonial first basket, in which Bledsoe and Williams hoisted a young girl up to help her dunk the ball, each of the kids received a Suns basketball, and were invited to shoot around on the court with the Suns stars.