A Case for the Affordable Care Act

MacKenzie Belley, Political Analyst

Gilbert, AZ- On March 3rd, 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) or as it nicknamed, Obamacare, was signed into law by the former president or the United States Barack Obama. Its goal was to insure that all citizens of the United States had access to health care and required all citizens to obtain insurance by 2014. The Affordable Care Act created the smallest percentage of uninsured Americans in U.S. history, at just 11.9%.

The Affordable Care Act, however received extreme opposition by Republicans since the beginning because of the increase of taxes. Recently the new Republican majority congress has taken steps to repeal key provisions of Obamacare without a plan to replace it this means that the 12.7 million Americans who received coverage through the act could become uninsured very soon.

Millions of Americans who were once turned away by healthcare providers because of pre-existing conditions found sanctuary under Obamacare. Since they could not be turned away for conditions like diabetes, cancer, or other conditions Obamacare saved lives, period.

Since the idea of repealing the Affordable Care Act was floated hundreds of Americans have come forward with their stories of how Obamacare has saved their lives. In an article posted on CNN, Xeni Jardin, a breast cancer survivor, stated, “Cancer does not wait to progress until your coverage kicks in.”

Obamacare set up an online system that would create an easier way for people to sign up for coverage. On the first day of the cite going up millions of Americans jumped at the opportunity to gain coverage, so many in fact that the site was overloaded  and had to shut down for awhile for the site to adjust to the flux of new participants.

On February 28th, 2017 during a press preview of his new budget that the efforts to replace obamacare was taking longer than expected. “ “Nobody knew that healthcare could be so complicated.”  Trump stated. While it may seem to President Trump that “nobody” could understand this is in fact wrong. There are many people in the government that completely understand the health care laws and they all support The Affordable Care Act.

While there is no reason to deny any new legislation without consideration, until the Trump Administration and the Republican congress cannot provide a visibly more effective solution to the healthcare problem our country faces they should leave what the Obama Administration created alone.