Winter Orchestra Concert

Ray Gerard Regorgo, Public Contributor

Gilbert, AZ -The Christmas Radio station is the most magical thing during the holiday season. Driving to school becomes a “sleigh ride” going through a “winter wonderland,” I’m like “Santa Clause coming to town.” As near and dear these songs are to me, and how obsessed I am with Mariah Carey’s All I want for Christmas is You, the radio station plays the same four songs over and over.

Like a pinch of salt added to some bland meat, the orchestra concert cleansed my palate and introduced me to a new world of holiday music.

The concert was like a time machine, moving the audience through various eras of music. An excerpt piece from “The Messiah” opened the concert with it’s dark and somber tone reflecting the winter cold. Transitioning into the modern era, the combined pieces of the Choir and Orchestra, “Sleigh Ride” and “Do You Hear What I Hear”, brought a new take on the two classic songs. The big finale was the Christmas Eve Sarajevo, the electric guitar against the orchestra was an unexpected duo but surprisingly, and the two complemented each other well.

Congratulations on Rudy Trujillo, director of Williams Field Choir and Orchestra, for the fantastic repertoire and to the students: excellent performance.